Thursday, July 1, 2010

More overdue photos -- from Woodland Park, Colorado

Tonight I'm going to try to add some more photos from our time in Woodland Park (and don't worry Montana readers... I'll get there eventually!). My parents first visited this small city in 1980, with friends who wanted to look at a piece of property. They were to come along to be the voice of reason. Well, the story goes that after one look at "The Peak" (Pike's Peak, all 14,110 feet/4,300 meters of it) and the beautiful community where all windows seem to frame it, my parents put a down payment on an accounting business there. The friends never bought the property, and only came to visit.

The city is at an elevation of almost 8,500 feet/2,590 meters above sea level. The sky there is the bluest I've ever seen, and it is sunny there 300 days a year. I never appreciated any of it growing up -- the mountain, the sky, the aspens. Now it takes my breath away every time (and not just because of the altitude).

First up -- some pictures of Jack enjoying the convertible, and a visit to the local dinosaur museum's anniversary party.



Next -- when I was a kid, we very rarely would get to go to a place called Santa's Workshop at "The North Pole"... a mere 10 minutes drive from my parent's house and on the start of the drive up Pike's Peak (yes, you can drive UP it). It is a wonderful, small, not-crowded amusement park and Santa visiting opportunity. Now when we go, our kids always ask to go there. They love it (and I still do, too). The cousins (our kids and my brother and his wife Amy's kids, who are almost 4 and just turned 2) had a great time together.




And tomorrow (hopefully... although there is still some unpacking to do!) -- watch for birthday cakes and a tea party, too, and then we're off to Montana (picture wise) and eventually, back home.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know, we never appreciate things like that as kids!! I took my family to WP for the first time last year and was astounded by how amazing that area is. We did the cog railway, garden of the gods, hikes, and our favorite, Cheyenne Mountain Zoo. I would LOVE to live in WP again!

alli said...

Wow! You did grow up in a beautiful part of America. I love those little amusement parks. Just the right size and great fun. Sizzling hot today here in Beanue. Miss you guys! -Alli