Saturday, January 23, 2010

Market day

Someone -- and I'm not naming names here -- might have gone a little crazy at Beaune's market today.

This was the haul we brought home:

In case you can't tell, that's about 10 pears (three different types), four apples, a beautiful head of lettuce, two containers of sweet strawberries, one artichoke, four avocados, one small chicken (already cooked on rotisserie), fresh pasta, parmesean, baguette, dried apricots, a cheese of the day (I didn't understand the name, but trust me... it was GOOD), ham, hazelnuts (already shelled), almonds (already shelled), olives from Provence, basil-olive tapenade, and three treats from a patisserie.

And the almost embarrassing thing is that this was with me restraining myself... I could have *really* gone crazy if we didn't have three kids eager to get to the carousel and only a certain number of Euros in my purse.

 

What an amazing market. Flowers, fish, cheese, fruit, chickens, bread, butter... all the delicious things you could dream of were right there, waiting to be tried and purchased. Jack and I had a REALLY good time at the nut/dried fruit/olive/tapenade stall... he let Jack try a number of dried fruits (he settled on apricots) and he let me try a number of olives (I settled on Provencale). Kate and Liv came back later and decided that next week, they would like the dried strawberries. Nice to know we can go back next week!

The kids were not 100 percent smitten with the market, though. At one point, inside a giant hall where many of the meats, fish, and cheeses were being sold, Jack made a face and said to us (not quietly), "I'm surrounded my my mortal enemies: stinky cheeses and fish!" Some of those stinky cheeses are amazing... he just doesn't know it yet!

 

 

 

 



 

 

 John even found a black coat for a mere 20 Euros. In the spirit of less luggage, he had left both his black wool coat and his black leather coat in Lethbridge and brought his multi-pocket, multi-purpose blue rainish coat. He immediately regretted leaving the black coats at home (no one -- and I mean NO ONE -- has been seen wearing anything close to his kind of coat). While we were in Colorado, he found a black wool coat with my Dad at Costco...but it had a hideous (yes, hideous) faux fur collar. The laughter of the women at my parents' house forced a return on our way out of town and John has been on the lookout for a new coat since we got here. The market coat was just the thing.




As I made my last purchases, John took the kids over to a beautiful old carousel. They loved it -- each rode twice, and picked out their rides for next time.


 
 
 

We brought our haul home, had a big Saturday midday meal, and now might all need to take a nap. What a wonderful Saturday ritual. 

9 comments:

Brenda said...

Thanks for blogging so regularly; it almost feel like I'm there with you as the adventure unfolds!

I love, love, love the picture of you and Katie at the market, with you looking oh so French with your cute red shoes, coat and bag, and Katie animatedly pointing something out to you and pulling you in that direction. Makes me smile!

A Novel Woman said...

Your children are going to remember that carousel for life. I visited one with my grandparents when I was quite young and I can still recall all the details.

Love your blog. I feel like I'm right there in the market with you!

(the word verification is "wisti" which I think is a combination of wish and wistful, which I am)

Mikey Bikey said...

C'est tres marvelous! Jelly, jelly, jelly. I'm so jealous.

I might have to borrow a couple of your market photos (I have Italy, Canada, US, Oz, and Japan). Too bad I can't borrow some of that food, Esp the olives (the Nicoise are nice too). And wine samples...

I have photos of Lisa on that carousel. Was that the one that collected copper coins for each ride or one where you try to grab a brass ring (where we first figured out the expression).

Joy & Dave said...

I don't think you went overboard at all; after all, this has to last you a whole week!

Lisa K. said...

Thanks to all for reading and commenting. Brenda -- I like that picture too (and I'm impressed you know it's Katie!). Mike, I didn't see if there was a brass ring to grab on this one (I was madly buy lettuce and cheese before heading home and didn't spend as much time at the carousel). But you are welcome to any picture (and I think there will be better ones is spring or sunny days). And Pam, we hope they remember the carousel... and more about this trip!

Thanks again for reading.

Lisa K. said...

Ack! Sorry about all of the typos in my comment! It's not like I'm a copyeditor or anything...

Elizabeth LaBan said...

Hi ! I love your blog and I, too, feel like I am there with you. But don't you know what you are doing to us? With almost every entry I call Craig in to see what you are doing - and what we are missing by not taking our kids to France. We even had one discussion about how we could get there while you guys are there (complete with a serious look through those house-finding sites) - but we decided it was craziness and won't happen (as much as we would like it to). But then seeing that market! Wow. We send lots of love and I look forward to reading more!!

alli said...

Love the photos-- very similar to our own when we arrived in Beaune four months ago with our three daughters. Found your blog through your landlord, Laura. Strangely comforting knowing another family is experiencing similar joys and struggles. We are here for three years learning to speak french-- très difficile! We were in England for the previous four years. What part will you be heading to after France? We must have coffee one day and swap stories!

Allison

Mikey Bikey said...

In your honor we're having escargots and beef burgouigne for dinner.