Thursday, March 18, 2010

Anyone have recommendations for the Loire Valley?

My mom and a friend from Lethbridge are coming to visit in late April and early May (we are all counting down the days), and we would like to make an overnight trip to the Loire. I've never been -- so if anyone has recommendations (the top two or three chateaux to see, a place to stay, a kid-friendly place to eat) please send them my way. You can reply in the comments, and make a note to let me know if you don't mind having the info published, or if you'd rather keep it a private comment.

Merci!

1 comment:

A Novel Woman said...

My husband and I toured the Loire Valley on our honeymoon some 25 years ago this summer! My favourites are:

Chenonceau

It is a gorgeous chateau with an interesting history, but walking through the woods and the gardens are what I remember most. (If you are really into gardens, then make sure you see Chateau de Villandry, which has formal gardens that are to die for.)

Chambord

It is simply amazing and can't be fully appreciated until it's seen. The double helix staircase will fascinate the kids and they can play count the chimneys!