Friday, March 26, 2010

Twenty-seven tortillas, one jar of "le cumin", and six Coronas later...

No, I haven't had the Coronas yet, but I did have much more success at the grocery stores today. I stopped by a different one (which proclaimed it was "the better market" -- a title which turned out to be true this time around) and quickly found "le cumin". I am now fully prepared to make loads of Indian food, too, with my big bottles of cumin and tumeric!

And I also found what I *think* could possibly maybe perhaps turn out to be something close to cream cheese. I shelved all of my pride, searched for what looked like something that resembled cream cheese, and approached the cheese counter for a hilarious conversation that essentially confirmed that I had indeed found a soft, bland, tasteless processed cheese that children like to eat. Perfect. I think Kraft and Philadelphia Cream Cheese company will soon be incorporating that definition into all of their marketing and promotions!

For the record, it was pas-de-probleme to make the tortillas yesterday, although I stopped at 27 and picked up a bag of store ones (for the kids, I told myself) in case we run out.

And... I found a six-pack of Corona at the store. Hooray! John did wonder a bit at the wisdom of paying top dollar (or euro) for mediocre Mexican beer. I convinced him it would add a certain je ne sais quoi to the celebration. We'll see what everyone thinks.

One small glitch... we got a call from school today (no one likes those) saying Katie had been sick and would we please come and pick her up right away. She also threw up on the way home. Since then -- she's been fine.

So...I left a message with Geraldine and Thomas  letting them know (and had to contemplate the following before calling: "hmmm, what is the past-participle of 'to vomit'"? Elle a vomi? Elle est vomue?") and hope the dinner is still on. We also learned, when picking Kate up, that there is one other case of a gastro-illness in class and both head lice and chicken pox are going around. Nice to know some things about preschools are the same around the world (and I am quite thankful our chicken pox drama is behind us).

Well, I'm off to pick Jack up at school and finish the party prep. I'll try to remember to take pictures of our Mexican feast (French style).  

Bon appetit!

5 comments:

A Novel Woman said...

I'd love to know how to make tortillas. I've never tried it.

I can and do make naan bread, challah, etc. and I think I even have a recipe for pita bread somewhere.

Gotta love carbs when you live in a cold climate.

Lisa K. said...

This is the recipe I use. My mom makes the BEST tortillas in the universe. These are OK -- I don't do it enough to get really good at it, but they still are tasty (when they aren't made with a weird flour mixture in Japan).

makes 8 large or 12-16 small

* 2 cups flour
* 1 tsp salt
* 1/2 cup water
* 1/4 cup oil

Stir together flour and salt. Add water and oil, stirring until well
combined. Knead until smooth, about 50 times. Divide into desired
number of pieces, cover and let rest 10 minutes.

Roll out on floured surface or press in a tortilla press. If using a
tortilla press, divide into 12 or 16 pieces instead of 8.

Cook on a hot dry griddle or skillet about 30-60 seconds on each side,
just until light brown spots begin to appear. Now try to eat just one
while they're still hot off the griddle.

Thanks for reading! Stay warm, and if I decide to make some Indian food with all of my new spices, I'll want your naan recipe!

A bientot,
Lisa

Anonymous said...

Viva la Mexico! :) I LOVE Mexican food! Can eat it three meals a day.

cbkonczak said...

You said "participle"...Total geek. :)

A Novel Woman said...

Ooh, that doesn't sound too complicated! Thanks, I'm going to try it. We eat refried bean burritos or chicken burritos quite often and it never occurred to me to make the tortillas. Oh, and I make tortilla soup. It's to DIE for.

We'll swap Indian recipes. I took a cooking course that included some Thai recipes. The chicken with cashew "gravy"...oh my.