Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Horror of horrors (don't worry, it ends well)

For about 10 minutes this afternoon, we thought we had lost Fou-Fou (Liv's precious stuffed lemur).

It happened at the VERY end of our trip, driving out of Beaune, leaving the last train behind. Liv asked me for Fou-Fou. I said the last I saw him she was playing with him on the train. She said she didn't have him now.

And the wailing began. Literally. The child cried: "I need Fou-Fou. I can't go on without Fou-Fou!" the whole. way. home.

John started writing Fou-Fou's obituary outloud: "Fou-Fou the lemur lived an extraordinary life. Having traveled extensively compared to most stuffed lemurs, Fou-Fou had just in the days before his departure enjoyed seeing the grand masters at the Louvre and Musee D'Orsay. He was last seen riding the rails south, headed for warm weather and more great adventures..."

I was already dreading the call to the train station: "Yes, that's right, a stuffed lemur. (Oh, I'll need to look "lemur" up before I call... I don't know what that is in French)... yes, he goes by the name of Fou-Fou. That's F-O-U-F-O-U. His last known location was somewhere between Dijon and Beaune, heading to Chalon-sur-Saone. He was last seen wearing a diaper, some dirty masking tape wrapped around his body from the time Livie said he had gotten in some kind of accident, and a pony tail holder around his belly, which giggles if you squeeze it. If you want a description of the giggle, just ask the monks of the Citeaux Abbey (did they take a vow of silence?)... those monks will know his giggle well."

I was pretty sure he was a goner. But when we drove into the driveway of the beautiful Maison des Chaumes and a tearful Liv got out of the car, she saw... to everyone's relief... that Fou-Fou had been there all along.

Yes, we are all safely home -- and glad to have ALL of us here.

9 comments:

Breck27 said...

Hi Lisa,

Cindy and I enjoy your blog. Ashley is also a reader. It is very interesting to read what you are doing and your writing is cool. Thank you for sharing your lives with us.

Breck and Cindy Howard

Lisa K. said...

Dear Breck, Cindy, and Ashley,

Thanks so much for reading the blog! I always get a thrill knowing someone out there is reading about our adventures... I figure I can count on my mom reading it regularly (that's what moms are for, right?), but anyone else is a bonus!

And it really has been an adventure... with lots of good times to come, too (we hope).

I hope you all are well. Maybe we'll see you this summer in MT?

Love,
Lisa

Beth said...

Wow, your husband is funny. I'm not sure what that obit did to poor Liv's emotional state at the time, tho...

Lisa K. said...

That was just what he was saying to me in the car, to keep our minds off the weeping and wailing! I was laughing out loud the whole time... but he's as much of a softy when it comes to Fou-Fou as anyone!
xo
Lisa

Mikey Bikey said...

Tres terror! David lost his stuffed bear in Yellowstone last fall. They had travelled together to Japan, Italy, Australia... Maybe John could compose a liturgy/requium for Beary the bear, too?

Lisa K. said...

Oh no -- now that IS a tragedy. How did he handle it? I am so sorry to hear that. I'll ask John re: a few final words for Beary... tell David that we are all VERY sorry for his loss.

xo
LIsa

Lisa K. said...

Mike, this is John. Lisa just told me about Beary the bear. I think a few words would be appropriate.
Remembearing Beary, a Truly Exceptional Bear:
Beary was much loved by David and all even before his travels began. He became, perhaps, the first bear to cross back from Canada to Japan since the Be(a)ring Strait separated North America from Asia. Having then developed a love of travel he stuck close to David and family through Italy, Australia, California, and many fascinating places. It was a remarkably rich travel life for a stuffed bear. Beary always came home with David until Yellowstone, where he remained on his own. In all those other places, even in Lethbridge, Beary was a visitor sustained by David's love rather than natural habitat. But in Yellowstone, Beary was home. He will be missed by us, but warmly welcomed by the many animals of Yellowstone eager to learn more of Japan, Italy, Australia, and beyond from this worldly bear.

Beth said...

Well, at least John could find work writing obits for stuffed animals if his day job doesn't pan out. :-)

Mikey Bikey said...

Amazing John. You have found your calling!