Friday, February 26, 2010

I don't know how they do it (and, the foreigners get haircuts in France)

I had the great pleasure of going out to lunch today with a group of (new-to-me) friends who have been meeting once a month for lunch in Beaune for the last 22 years.

They originally come from France, England, Norway, the U.S. and Canada (and probably other places as well) and gather to visit and speak English. Yes, this is the second time I have been invited to a group that gathers to practice English, and while I am always eager to practice my own French, I am not one to turn down an opportunity to meet new people, eat delicious food, or drink great local wine. (I am also thinking of forming a similar group in Lethbridge, of friends who can gather to speak French, eat good food and drink good wine. Let me know if you are interested!)

The women at the lunch today were just great. One of them has been in France for 40 years, leaving Texas the day after her university graduation to find her way to France where she knew she wanted to make her life. Another grew up in Missoula, Montana, just two hours from where John grew up -- and like a few others now that I have met, she attended the Université de Bourgogne the same time I did. Another lives in Dijon (just a few streets away from where I lived in 1993) and wants to help me get over my fear of talking on the phone in French... by insisting that I call her on the phone and speaking ONLY in French.

It was a lively and fun lunch (with wonderful food and conversation). The only thing I don't understand is how French people (and people living in France) can have these amazing two hour lunchs with appetizers, main courses, dessert, wine and coffee, and not go back to their offices to immediately take a nap? Maybe they all do... if not, I am amazed ANY work gets accomplished in the afternoons in France.

The other adventure of the day was that John and I managed to both get our hair cut. It involved making an appointment, of course (although I did that in person to avoid the phone) and then returning this morning. It's a bit of a nervewracking affair --it involves a new vocabulary, for one thing. Phrases like "no bangs", "smooth", "just a bit off the top", and "not too poofy" are generally not part of one's everyday French conversation. And who knows what you'll end up with?

Well, this is what we ended up with... pas mal, n'est pas? The first is taken by Katie and Olivia (together), and the second two show my cut immediately after exiting the salon. It will never be that well styled again, just for the record.


2 comments:

Beth said...

Love the 'do!

Joy & Dave said...

Yes, definitely interested in practicing my rusty French before Harmony gets too fluent! - Joy.