Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Thinking about thanks

So... it's still snowing. Still. And my children still don't have proper footwear (and are wearing many, many varied (some would say bizzare) layers of clothing to school).

Well, on Friday, one of the wonderful teachers at Kate and Liv's school mentioned that she might have some old boots at home (she has older girls) and wondered if we might like them. I tried (poorly) to explain why people who live in Canada should come to France with rainboots and not the world's heaviest coats, and that really we have snowboots (and snowpants and warm coats and more hats, mitts, and scarves than we know what to do with) back at home but that we were limited with the number of bags we could bring and that this has been the coldest and snowiest winter here in a long time... and then it all got jumbled up in the subjunctive and past tense and conditional -- so I just said that'd be great, merci beaucoup.

Yesterday on the fieldtrip to Dijon, she mentioned that she had forgotten the boots that morning but she'd bring them today. I said no problem, merci beaucoup.

And today she showed up with boots, slippers, and a giant, overflowing bag of warm winter sweaters, turtlenecks, heavy pants, tights, two coats and more for us to use while we are here. And... although I wanted to explain that really, REALLY, I can provide clothing for my children, that really it's almost embarrassing how many clothes these girls have in their closet at home in Canada, that really I can just go and buy new boots and heavy sweaters... instead I just put away my pride and said merci beaucoup.

It's not always easy to just give thanks or to accept help. And for me, it is harder being on the receiving end of this sort of kindness than being the one doing the kind deed. If the tables were turned, I would do (and have done) the same thing as she did.  If I heard in Lethbridge that someone had just moved from out of the country and didn't have enough warm winter clothes (regardless of their financial situation), I wouldn't think twice before putting together a big bag of clothes. We have always passed on all of the kids clothes once they are outgrown -- I am always SO happy to get them out of the house! --  and we have gathered coats, hats, and more for families in need in our own town.

And while I don't think of us as a family IN NEED, we are a family that, at the moment, is in need of winter boots (that they may only wear this weekend -- or perhaps that is just wishful thinking at this chilly point?). And however hard it is to accept help from other -- we are grateful for these (thick, heavy, suitcase filling) clothes. More than grateful -- the girls were THRILLED! They dressed up all afternoon, picking out their favorites and putting entire French outfits together.They looked so cute too -- very French (I think). That's Liv in the first picture (you can't see the fabulous purple skirt or bright tights) and Katie in a long-sleeved cat shirt (which she had smartly paired with a dog cardigan earlier in the day).

 
  


Sometimes, the limitations of langauge are good. It was just too hard to try to explain all that I was tempted to explain when she handed me that bag. Sometimes, only being able to say thank you ends up being the best thing to say. So to the wonderful teacher at Kate and Liv's school, we all pass along a warm merci beaucoup tonight.

***
In other exciting news -- Jack came home from school today with an invitation to a birthday party of a classmate for next week. He is SO excited. Anyone know what 8-year-old French girls might like for a gift?

3 comments:

Mrs. Carlson said...

Dang, I just posted a long comment and lost it when I had to reset my password. Where did those ideas go in cyber space?
Your story today made me remember the time I wound up in the ER with Andy one Sunday afternoon. He had been at work with Tom all day, playing in the moldy corn, to which he was (apparently) highly allergic. The attending nurse heard his story("I was playing in the moldy corn..."), sized me up (dressed in my Sunday outfit--denim skirt, sweatshirt, anklets, tennies, and a great big old denim winter coat that I had purchased on a great clearance deal from Penney's Big and Tall Men's Catalog[It had toggles.]), and quietly asked Andy if we had heat in our house. I think what sometimes what makes us uncomfortable about positions of gratitude are the assumptions and judgments which might come along with the help. And I have been on both sides of that equation. At any rate, I love a good hand-me-down, so enjoy.
Uncle Tom just came in and asked me what I was reading. When I told him, he said, "That girl really DOES like to write." And I am so glad because I like to read.
AuntieC.

Mikey Bikey said...

The girls look so dang cute. I think it the French fashion. Really!

rebs said...

Having been the delighted recipient of many handmedowns that your sweet girls had outgrown, I can certainly testify to your generosity. Ruby and I just opened a box of 6-9 month clothes for baby Hazel this morning and I loved pointing out those gifts.