Saturday, February 20, 2010

Morning at a new market

We decided to check out Dijon's market today, which is held in and around Les Halles du Marché , a 19th century covered market building designed by Gustav Eiffel. Monsieur Eiffel is perhaps more famous for that tower to the northwest, but around here, you can tell there is much pride in the lovely lines of this Eiffel creation.


And while I am glad we went (and I would certainly head back), our Dijon market day made me love Beaune's smaller market even more. It might be simply that we arrived when it was most crowded, or also that I didn't know my way around this market, or that I was a bit reluctant to elbow my way forward at most of the stalls (in fact, I only found courage at, yes, a cheese vendor where I picked up some well-aged comte -- and only after a dapper older French man told me "I *must* approach with more confidence or I will never get my cheese")... but the vastness of Dijon's market was a bit much for me today.

 

  
  

  

 

Still -- we ended up with a decent haul (lovely oranges and fragrant garlic among the most prized finds), had a wonderful lunch right on the market square, walked through town (being sure to stop and rub the little owl on the side of Notre Dame for good luck -- a 700-year-old tradition) and enjoyed a quick visit to the Musee des Beaux Arts.

 

  

  

  

 
 
Katie and Livie had SO much fun showing Jack around the museum. It made me remember a part of my own childhood -- a handful of rare and wonderful moments when I knew something my fabulous older brother didn't. Seeing them lead Jack right to the crazy bicycle, to the kitchen where you can stand in the fireplace, and to the room with the magical ceiling (and being impressed with how much they remembered about their own visit there almost three weeks ago) was quite a sight to see. Oh, and the art wasn't so bad, either.

 

  

 

Tonight I am making onion soup for Jay and Judy's last dinner in Burgundy (they are catching an early train to the airport and will head to Munich tomorrow). We have had such a good visit and have loved showing them this place we have grown to love so much.

2 comments:

Mikey Bikey said...

Les Halles is [are?] beautiful. It reminds me of Mercato Centrale in Florence. I'll want a picture of that. But I can see how it would be intimidating.

Mikey Bikey said...

Les Halles is [are?] beautiful. It reminds me of Mercato Centrale in Florence. I'll want a picture of that. But I can see how it would be intimidating.