Sunday, May 16, 2010

Au revoir au marche... (Goodbye to the market....)

We continue to have very un-May-like weather here, and I think it will help make it easier to leave. Yes, who wants to be in rainy, dreary France in May... let's go instead to balmy England, where the skies are sunny and the weather is a lovely 20C (68F) most days.

That's what I'm telling myself right now, anyway!

But I braved the gray skies early Saturday morning for one last market outing. As always, it was wonderful. I stopped first for my pasta (and even got a kiss on both cheeks when I said goodbye).



And then went to the next stall to get a tiny bit of basil tapenade. They threw in a little extra dried fruit for the kids (because they knew my kids love the dried strawberries and pears).



Next came my crack dealer (ummm... I mean my cheese vendor). I only bought a very small piece of whatever was on special this week. It was, of course, delicious. We are trying to finish everything in the fridge, and I would hate to see amazing cheese go to waste, so I was very (VERY) restrained this time around.



Then I went to get my produce. The pears look especially good this week, so I got a few kilos of those. Yes, we eat kilos and kilos of fruit each week. What a life, eh? I also picked up some of those good looking avocados you can see in the photo below. Delicious.



Finally, I picked up some flowers to take to Marine and Laurent's for lunch later that day. I picked out a beautiful pot of orchids (which turned out to be Marine's favorite), and the vendor threw in some beautiful pink flowers for the girls.



And then I just wandered around, something I wish I could have done more often.


That little market provided such fabulous food during our time here in France, during all seasons and whatever the weather. What a treat to have it so close -- there is nothing quite like it in Lethbridge. If we do come back to Burgundy, you can be sure we'll be making our way there on the very first Saturday morning.

And, if it's spring or summer, we'll get there early, long before the tourists do. It's nice to be a local -- and all of those vendors who remembered what I liked and knew my kids, well, they certainly made me feel like one during our market mornings.

No comments: