Friday, May 21, 2010

A huge "merci" and a recipe, too

We just got back from Kate and Liv's little party at school, which was a huge success. It seems that Rice Krispie treats (and gateau au chocolat) are universal hits among the preschool set. I'll post pictures later today.

But first, I wanted to pass on the great amazing news that awaited us when we walked in. It seems that the British Airways strike will change the travel plans of a friend visiting Alli and John... so John will be able to drive us to Lyon on Sunday (he had been planning to drive their friend to Geneva)! Who knew that I would be so happy about a strike changing travel plans? I am giddy! I had resigned myself to a day that would have involved taxi, train, bus, and airplane, all with beaucoup de baggage... and now we'll have door-to-door service with a good friend. Hooray, and merci!

In other good news... we picked up the cord for the printer this morning. I know. Next think you know, the telephone will start working. Clearly we need to leave because even the frustrating things are getting ironed out!

 And finally -- I had a friend ask for the recipe for Christine's amazing gateau au chocolat. I am happy to pass it along.

120 grams dark chocolate (for baking) -- the best you can find
200 grams unsalted butter
300 grams sugar
4 whole eggs
50 grams flour
125 grams chopped walnuts (optional)

1. Melt the chocolate and butter (best to put a pot in another pot of water to do it)
2. Mix the sugar, eggs, and flour
3. Put the melted butter/chocolate into the sugar, flour, and egg mixture
4. Add nuts (if desired)
5. Cook at 180C for 20 minutes.

It's best if you let it sit 5-6 hours before serving (or so Christine says. We've never been able to wait that long).

Bon appetit!

3 comments:

Elizabeth LaBan said...

Thank you for the recipe!! Alice and Arthur will absolutely love making it (and eating it), I know. Craig can help me convert the grams and oven temperature. I can't wait to make it!!

I am so glad your travel plans have improved! I will think about you and I send lots of love.

Anonymous said...

Good luck with your next adventure! I've sure enjoying reading about this one :) And all the pics.

softinthehead said...

Sad to see you go, but hope you will keep us all posted even when you return home to Canada. From a fellow Canadian who about to head to France in eight weeks fora five week stay, cannot wait!! Bon Voyage!